Since many years photographers, TV teams and scientists come to the Azores to work from our boats with whales, dolphins, sharks, manta rays and Mobulas. We believe that spreading knowledge contributes significantly to the protection of sea-dweller in the Atlantic which is why we support the work of the pros with great verve.
Our treasure trove of experience with professional film and photo work is rich. Consequently we are able to respond adequately to different requirements and wishes which the work involves. Apart from well prepared and well organised work, luck is also important because neither weather nor situations in the nature can be planned. This is why it is necessary to work with professionals at the water who are able to quickly make the right decisions in each situation.
In May 2015 the BBC Blue Panet Team worked with us for new episodes of the series OCEAN which will be broadcasted in autumn 2017. OCEAN is one of the most important series worldwide about the oceans and their creatures. Among others we sank two dead whales at the coast of Pico to let BBC film bluntnose sixgill sharks in the deep sea. In this process breath-taking film material could be produced.
We dispose of all resources, so that you can work with the Azores’ cetacean without unnecessary loss of time, money and nerves:
- We have a network of land-bases whale spotters at three islands which allows us to observe more than 600 kilometers of coast line and to operate in areas where no commercial whale watching boats enter. This is important because according to Azorean law snorkelers can join whales only as long as there are no other boats in sight.
- We have modern and perfectly maintained speed rubber boats in different sizes as well as an expedition power catamaran with 2 x 310 hp diesel engines. The catamaran has a length of 12.60 meters and is licenced for up to 200 miles distance from the coast. It has a cabin for relaxation, a kitchen, a toilet and a flying bridge. It is equipped with the latest technology which makes it an ideal base for film and photo teams. A 11.50 meter long Rodman Fisherman is used for offshore shootings. Our boats can transport canoes without difficulties. All skippers have already worked with professional teams.
- Our service round the clock – from accommodation to transfer – we offer the best opportunities to use the production time efficiently. You always have the first information about weather, animals and position.
- According to Azorean laws film and photo productions with whales under water require a special permit. We can assist you with the paper work. However, please keep in mind that the application has to be filed two month before the start of the production. No licences will be issued for the months of July and August.
- Preparation is of high importance: We know the waters and the local conditions which is why we can prepare you perfectly for your work.
- The course of the weather is monitored via internet.
- At days where excursions are not possible due to weather conditions, we do not charge neither preparation nor cancellation fees.
- BBC Blue Planet OCEAN
- BBC Life at the extreme
- Pimsoll Productions
- Davina McCall, UK TV
- NHK Japan TV
- ORF UNIVERSUM with Erich Pröll and National Geografic
- ARTE with Nomad TV and Joe Bunni
Contact and booking
If you wish to work with us or require more details, please feel free to contact us here. The team of Pico Sport/Scuba Azores will be happy to assist you.
Photography: Gerard Soury